Making money online has gotten even easier with a growing list of side hustle apps. This is why I love technology – it creates opportunity.
This list of side hustle apps has something for everyone. There are easy side cash options like taking surveys, more lucrative options for delivering food, and even an app where you can watch videos and make money. You’re not going to get rich watching videos, but it is an option for earning some extra money.
Also, these apps are all 100% legit. There are no scams or promises of getting rich by simply downloading an app. These are all completely real ways to make money with a cell phone in 2020.
13 Best Side Hustle Apps – Make Extra Money With Your Phone
1. Survey Junkie
Survey Junkie is one of the most well-known and best survey sites, and a great app to download to make easy side cash. It’s 100% free to sign up for Survey Junkie, and they pay you to answer short surveys that provide companies with valuable market research data.
Now, you’re not going to get rich taking surveys online – they pay around $1-$3 per survey – but it’s easy money. Surveys take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, and they’re mindless enough to do while watching Netflix.
The Survey Junkie app shows you how much each survey pays and how long it takes before you start.
Survey Junkie pays in points that you can convert to cash via PayPal or gift cards to places like Starbucks, Amazon, Sephora, Groupon, Target, and Walmart.
How to get started with Survey Junkie:
- Download the Survey Junkie app
- Confirm your email address
- Complete a brief profile about yourself – you’ll want to fill out as much information as possible so you can get matched with the most surveys
Most surveys pay points that translate to $1-$3 per survey.
The Swagbucks side hustle app has opportunities to make money by taking surveys, watching videos, searching the web, playing games, shopping online, and more.
You earn points that are called SB (Swagbucks), and each SB is worth $0.01. You can redeem your points via PayPal or Visa gift card. Or you can convert them to an e-gift card for more than 140 different companies, including Amazon, Walmart, Target, and more.
Swagbucks also has a referral program that pays when you get friends to sign up through your unique referral link. You also earn 10% of the points they earn for as long as they use their account.
How to get started with the Swagbucks app:
- Download the Swagbucks app
- Earn a $10 bonus just for signing up
- Start taking surveys, watching videos, claiming offers, etc.
- Cash-out via PayPal once your account reaches the equivalent of $25 or cash out gift cards starting at $3-$5 depending on the company
For passive activities like watching videos or listening to music, you can make around $0.10-$0.20/hour. Surveys pay an average of $0.40 to $2/hour.
Instacart is a grocery delivery service that has blown up this year. More and more people have decided to stay home and have their groceries delivered, and it presents good paying side jobs if you want to make money delivering groceries.
The Instacart app tells its shoppers exactly what and how much to buy, and if there are any questions about a product, the Instacart shopper can contact that customer via the app. You also see your estimated earnings in the app.
You’ll need to schedule your hours in advance, and Instacart shoppers make around $15-$20/hour.
Instacart shopper requirements:
- Download the Instacart app
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Be able to lift up to 40lbs
- Have access to a reliable car
- Have a smartphone that’s capable of running the Instacart app
- Pass a background check
4. Uber Eats
Owned by the rideshare giant Uber, Uber Eats has seen orders through the app increase by 197% since the start of 2020. Uber Eats drivers deliver food from local and chain restaurants, plus convenience stores and grocery stores in some markets.
One of the unique things about making money with Uber Eats is that you can have someone else in the car with you while you’re out delivering orders.
Uber Eats driver requirements:
- Download the Uber Eats app
- Meet the minimum age to drive in your city
- Have at least one year of licenses driving experience (if you’re under 23, you need 3 years)
- Valid U.S. driver’s license
- Eligible vehicle (4-door sedan that’s at least a 1998 or newer)
- Proof of residency in your state
- Vehicle insurance
Uber Eats drivers bring in an average of $10-$20/hour.
Founded in 2014, Shipt is an on-demand grocery delivery service. Shipt started as a membership-only service, but recently dropped that model to make its services more accessible.
One of the things that Shipt shoppers like about the service is that you can shop for more than one order at a time. It’s an efficient use of your time, and it allows you to make more money with this side hustle app.
Shipt shopper requirements:
- Download the Shipt app
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid driver’s license and insurance
- Have a reliable vehicle – 1997 model or newer
- Able to lift 40lbs or more
- Have insulated cooler bags
Shipt shoppers are paid $5 plus 7.5% of the order amount. You will see an estimate of what you can earn in the Shipt app, and Shipt’s pay model translates into an average pay of $15-$20/hour.
DoorDash is another food delivery service, and they’ve been delivering food from local and chain restaurants since 2013. In 2020, DoorDash also started delivering from convenience stores and drugstores, like CVS, in some markets.
Like these other food delivery apps, the DoorDash app does a lot of the work for you. It’s where you accept orders, get the exact order for customers, and get driving directions for delivery.
DoorDash gives drivers opportunities to earn more, like Peak Pay hours (higher pay when you drive during busy times) and Challenges (completing a certain number of deliveries in a set amount of time). Drivers average $15-$20/hour.
DoorDash driver requirements:
- Download the DoorDash app
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have access to a car, scooter, or bike in some markets
- Have a valid driver’s license number
- Auto insurance
You’re paid per order, but the average hourly pay is $15-$20/hour including 100% of tips.
Slidejoy is a lock screen app that you get paid to download to your phone. How does Slidejoy work? Glad you asked!
First of all, Slidejoy is only for Android devices. You download the app and it runs ads or news stories on your lock screen– it’s honestly that simple. However, you’re not going to make a lot of money with Slidejoy. You’re paid in points (Slidejoy calls them carats), and 1000 carats = $1.
Slidejoy also has games and surveys you use to make money, but simply setting it as your lock screen is a really passive way to make a little side cash.
How to start making money with Slidejoy:
- Download the Slidejoy app
- Create an account or sign in with Facebook
- Decide what mode you want to run – Normal Mode pays you, Hero Mode donates your earnings to a charity
- Cash your earnings out via PayPal
You can make anywhere from $5-$10 a week with Slidejoy.
TaskRabbit is a side hustle app where people post random jobs they need done around their house. I’m talking about things like hanging pictures, assembling furniture, running errands, cleaning, and more.
There is a $25 registration fee to create a profile, but you keep 100% of what you make on the app – TaskRabbit doesn’t take any additional commissions. Instead, they charge a 15% service fee to customers.
How to start making money on TaskRabbit:
- Sign up and download the TaskRabbit app
- Build your profile by selecting the services you can offer, where you’re willing to work, and how much you charge
- Verify eligibility for tasks – this process depends on what tasks you select
- Pay the registration fee
- Set your weekly availability in the app
- Start getting jobs
- Payments process in 3-5 days after the task is completed
How much side hustle income you make depends on the kind of tasks you’re willing to work. TaskRabbit says you can earn $29-$75 moving boxes, $47-$95 planting flowers, $21-$48 doing home deliveries, and $42-$134 cleaning the kitchen. Those are per project estimates, not hourly.
9. Amazon Flex
Amazon Flex is a service that outsourced deliveries for Prime Now, AmazonFresh, and Amazon Restaurant. Amazon Flex drivers are called Delivery Partners. You use the Flex app to schedule your hours, scan and load packages for delivery, find directions, and keep track of how much you’re earning.
Driving for Amazon Flex is a little bit like driving for a rideshare company, but you’re delivering packages, not people. Amazon Flex drivers earn between $18-$25/hour.
Amazon Flex is one of the highest paying side hustle apps on this list, but it’s only available in certain areas.
You can find out if they’re hiring by visiting their website, but watch out for a scam that says it will alert you when Flex jobs become available. The app costs $15.99, and you don’t need to pay for app alerts.
Amazon Flex driver requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Have a Social Security number
- Show proof of auto insurance
- Have access to a 4-door sedan, pickup truck, or van
- Have a smartphone (iPhone 5 and up or Android 4.4 and up)
- Pass a background check
Amazon Flex drivers make $18-$25
The Turo app makes it possible for you to make somewhat passive side hustle income renting your car out. Turo is a peer-to-peer rental platform where you list your car, and then people can rent your car from you instead of going through a traditional car rental company.
The idea is that if your car is sitting undriven in the driveway, you might as well find a way to make some money with it.
Turo has a Carculator feature in the app that tells you how much you can realistically list your car for, but you can set your daily rental price at whatever you want. You keep 65% to 90% of the daily rental price on your car. You keep more of your earnings if you offer extras like prepaid refuel, unlimited mileage, or a post-trip cleaning.
Your car is protected by a $1 million liability insurance policy from Liberty Mutual. It protects your vehicle in the event of damage or theft, and renters get 24/7 roadside assistance.
How to start making money on the Turo app:
- Download the Turo app and create a free account
- List your car, including a detailed list of features and high-quality photos
- Receive a notification when someone requests to book your car
- Once you agree to the request, meet the renter at a predetermined location, check their license, do a walk around, note fuel mileage, and hand off the keys
- Meet the renter once their trip is offer
- Get paid
Turo says that U.S. hosts make an average of $545/month listing their car on Turo. There are lots of factors that go into how much you make, including the kind of car, its availability, and what extras you’re willing to offer.
Decluttr is an app that specializes in buying and selling used electronics and tech items. This app buys laptops, game consoles, cell phones, cameras, tablets, video games, and they even buy Legos.
The Decluttr app is set up to make selling easy. There’s a barcode scanner that makes it easy to find what you’re selling in their database.
If there’s not a barcode, everything is organized by category. When you find what you want to sell, Decluttr gives you a free valuation on your item. The app locks the price in for 28 days while you get it shipped to Decluttr.
Decluttr does a quality check on the item once they receive it, and you get paid the day after Decluttr receives your item.
How to get started with this side hustle app:
- Download the Decluttr app
- Find the tech you want to sell
- Lock your price in for 28 days
- Ship the item out with Decluttr’s free shipping label
- You can receive payment direct deposit, Paypal, check, or Decluttr will donate the money to a charity of your choice
It depends on what you’re selling. Decluttr pays $0.10 to $5 for DVDs. I checked the app to see how much they’d pay for my gently used iPhone 8, and I got a quote for $129. They pay for Legos by the pound, and 5lbs nets you $5.
Poshmark is one of the top side hustle apps for selling clothes, shoes, and accessories. The app is free to use, but for sales under $15, Poshmark takes $2.95. For sales over $15, you pay Poshmark a 20% commission.
To make the most on Poshmark, make sure you fill out as many details as possible and use keywords in the description. That means you’re using terms that shoppers would enter when browsing the site. Be honest in your listing and take good-quality photos.
Poshmark shares the most recently posted items, so add new things regularly. Those new listings can lead shoppers to the rest of your listings.
One more tip: If someone “likes” an item in your closet, Poshmark sends you a notification. If you’re flexible on your selling price send offers to the people who have liked your items. You can even set your prices so you’re prepared to negotiate.
How to start making money with the Poshmark app:
- Download the Poshmark app
- Create a short profile
- Take a photo of what you want to sell and fill out the listing
- Share your listing with people in your network
- Ship sold items out using Poshmark’s prepaid shipping label
- Get paid once the buyer has received the item
How much you make depends on what you’re selling and the kind of market demand. On-trend clothes and designer goods fetch the highest prices.
I’ve read some Reddit threads that say active users average somewhere between $300-$1,000/month. Most of those people are buying things at thrift stores and flipping them for a profit on Poshmark.
Don’t forget that you can make money through the Facebook app! This one is a no-brainer for a lot of people because you probably already have Facebook downloaded to your phone and know how to navigate the app.
Facebook Marketplace is one of the most obvious places to make money on Facebook. You can sell everything from cars, clothes, electronics, plants, and even those weird winged beans (below) I found when searching my local Facebook Marketplace.
Local buy and sell groups are another good option for hyper-local groups. There are also buy and sell groups that specialize in baby and kid items, handmade things, and more.
How to start making money with the Facebook app:
- Download the Facebook app if you haven’t yet
- Create your profile – if you’re brand new to Facebook, you may have a hard time selling in groups because sometimes scammers create brand new fake accounts
- Fill out as much information as you can in your listings and be honest about their condition
- Respond to comments and questions
- Ship, deliver, or set up pick-ups promptly
- Delete Facebook Marketplace listings once the transaction is completed, or mark as “Sold” if you’re using buy/sell groups
You can make thousands of dollars selling your used car on Facebook or a few bucks selling kids’ clothes – it all depends on what you’re selling. Facebook is, by far, one of the most flexible apps for selling your stuff online.
What are the best side hustles for 2020?
There are good-paying side jobs in food delivery, but if you want even more flexibility, I recommend looking through this list of 15 online side hustles. It includes side hustles like:
- Running Facebook ads for local businesses – earn $1,000-$1,500/month
- Blogging – I’ve made over $1 million from my site this year!
- Work as a virtual assistant for online business owners – earn $500-$1,000/month extra
- Create an online course – one of my readers has made over $80,000/month selling online graphic design courses
The final word on side hustle apps
Technology has made it possible to make money from your phone, and that creates even more opportunities to earn extra money.
You just read about 15 different side hustle apps for 2020, and I only expect the options to grow in the coming years. Right now, there’s a lot of potential in food delivery – it’s where you can make the most money too. But there’s honestly something for everyone, from selling stuff online, taking surveys, renting your car, etc.
My point is this: there are so many ways to make more money. Find something that interests you and move forward with it. Downloading one of these apps is the first step to paying off debt, saving more, having more room in your monthly budget, etc.