Online jobs are known for being a flexible way to earn a living. But since the coronavirus crisis started, they are an even more appealing option because they allow you to keep earning money while staying safe at home.
Surprisingly, lots of companies are posting online job opportunities. Some positions have always been remote, while others have changed to remote work to keep workers healthy.
There are also several fields, like technology and health insurance, that are growing because of the coronavirus. Companies in these fields have posted thousands of online jobs in the past few weeks to keep up with growing demand.
Today, I’ll explain which sectors are hiring (plus the qualifications you need to get hired), the jobs you can find online, and which companies currently have online jobs listed.
Online Jobs: Where to Look Right Now
Online jobs in technology
Tech is a broad sector that continues to need new workers, especially now that more people than ever are using technology to communicate, work, learn, and entertain themselves. There are also a wide array of online jobs available within the field, including:
- Network engineer/architect: You’ll need a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or computer engineering
- Data specialist: Education requirements will depend on the job, but can be anywhere from a high school diploma to a bachelor’s degree in information technology, business, or a related field
- Program manager: Bachelor’s or master’s degree in business or a related field
- Product designer: Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, engineering, and possibly some courses in art or design
- Community support: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related technology field
- App developer: At least a bachelor’s degree in software engineering, mobile application development, computer science, or a related field
- Operations manager: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, management, or a related field
- Customer support representative: High school diploma or GED
FlexJobs currently has a lot of listings in tech, and here’s a screenshot of some recent openings:
You can learn more about FlexJobs at FlexJobs Review: Is It Really Worth Paying For?
Online jobs in health insurance
We keep hearing that our healthcare centers are being overwhelmed right now, and that means health insurance companies are too. Here’s a sample of the kind of online jobs available in health insurance:
- Claims auditor: Bachelor’s degree in auditing, finance, or accounting
- Sales agent: High school diploma to a bachelor’s degree in insurance, business, finance, or a related field, plus state license
- Patient account representative: High school diploma or GED
- Account manager: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, communications, or related field
- Benefit advisor: High school diploma or GED with a health insurance license
- Medical billing and coding: Certification or associate’s degree in medical billing and coding
- Customer service representative: High school diploma or GED
- Data specialist: From a high school diploma or GED to a bachelor’s degree in business, IT, or a related field
- Patient advocate: Bachelor’s degree in health administration or healthcare management
The positions I listed above are available at health insurance companies and healthcare centers. There are also a number of online health insurance jobs available if you speak a second language, specifically as patient advocates or benefits advisors.
Here’s an example of some of the recent online jobs in health insurance on FlexJobs:
Most of us can safely say that we’d be lost without our internet connection right now, and telecom companies are hiring to meet increased demand. Here are the kinds of online jobs you can find in this field:
- Customer service representative: High school diploma or GED, plus an ability to work weekends and holidays
- Sales representative: Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, economics, or related field
- Account manager: Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, economics, or related field
- AEM Manager: Bachelor’s degree in computer science
- Telecommunications analyst: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, engineering, or a related field
Here are some recent online job listings in telecommunications:
Read more at Jobs That Will Allow You to Make Money From Home.
Cybersecurity online jobs
People who work in cybersecurity help protect networks from theft and damage This field goes hand in hand with the last one – it’s how we stay protected now that we’re relying on the internet even more than we used to. Here are the different types of online jobs you can find in cybersecurity:
- Infrastructure engineer: Need a bachelor’s degree in computer science or information technology
- Cloud architect: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, some employers might require a master’s degree
- Security sales engineer: Bachelor’s degree in engineering, a background in business can be helpful
- Security engineer: Bachelor’s degree in computer science
- Technical writer: Bachelor’s degree in English or communications, possibly a degree in computer science or strong knowledge of the field
There are cybersecurity firms hiring for these online jobs, but a lot of companies have inhouse jobs available.
Here are some current listings from FlexJobs:
Manufacturing and distribution of critical supplies
If you think about what things we need right now – besides a good internet connection – healthcare devices, medical supplies, and cleaning supplies all probably come to mind. Obviously not all jobs in manufacturing are online jobs, but there are positions within this field that will allow you to work remotely, including:
- Controller: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration
- Project manager: Bachelor’s degree in management, business, or a related field
- Buyer/purchasing agent: Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting, but some companies only require a high school diploma or GED
- Supply chain manager: Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, sales, logistics, or business administration
- Marketing manager: Bachelor’s degree in marketing or business administration, but some companies will require a master’s degree
- Account executive: Need a bachelor’s degree in business administration or a field related to their employer’s work
- Analyst: At least a bachelor’s degree in accounting, economics, finance, statistics, or business administration
Here are listing for online jobs currently available in the manufacturing sector:
M$M tip: If you are new to working from home, my team and I share how we manage working from home at Tips for Working From Home: 11 Tips to Help You Survive.
Companies that are hiring for online jobs now
Now that you know what kind of online jobs are available, here’s a list of specific companies that are currently hiring.
This computer software company has openings for data science analysts, UX writers, legal counsel, account executives, engineering managers, and more
Aetna sells health care insurance, but it’s also responsible for pharmaceutical, dental, medical, and behavioral services. Because of increasing health care needs, Aetna has plans to fill over 50,000 full and part-time positions throughout the U.S. These include roles as claims supervisors, customer service managers, customer service representatives, claims dispute analysts, data scientists, project managers, financial analysts, and more.
You may have heard that Amazon is hiring fulfillment and delivery positions, but they’re also hiring for a number of online jobs that will allow you to work from home. These include device support associates, cloud delivery manager, EHS managers, and AWS trainers.
This cybersecurity company has home-based job openings for technical services consultants, inside solutions engineers, field sales specialists, and more.
This bank is offering online jobs for home mortgage wholesale closers, account executives, salesforce engineers, mortgage underwriter specialists, and more.
This cybersecurity company has positions for incident response managers, sales engineers, Netsuite administrators, systems engineers, UI developers, product managers, technical writers, intelligence analysts, and more.
This software development company has online work for product designers, database infrastructure engineers, software engineers, commercial counsel, marketing managers, account support specialists, technical support managers, and more.
This health information company has openings for campaign managers, desktop support engineers, editors, full-stack engineers, product designers, product managers, and more.
This is an online education company with online jobs as enrollment consultants, recruitment coordinators, online teachers, reclamations analysts, copywriters, customization writers, and more.
Okta is an identity and access management company that provides cloud software for companies. It currently has listings for accounts payable analysts, sales engineers, sales managers, customer success managers, support engineers, site reliability engineers, and more.
This software company has remote work positions for senior solutions consultants, lead system architects, experience designers, sales managers, account executives, and more.
Phillips is an electronics company that specializes in health technology, and it has hundreds of open job listings. A few of the online roles you can find at Philips: customer project managers, supply chain buyers, full-stack developers, multi-vendor sales specialists, customer service representatives, and more.
This is a contract health research organization with online jobs for principal statistical programmers, clinical research associates, senior contracts and grant analysts, project managers, statistical programmers, operational study managers, and more.
Red Hat is a software company with offices around the world. In the U.S., they currently have openings for technical account managers, sales specialists, automation architects, container infrastructure architects, software engineers, solutions architects, reliability engineers, and more.
This is another software company that provides management services and applications focused on customer service, marketing automation, and analytics. Salesforce has online jobs for software engineers, account executives, lead solution engineers, solution architects, data visualization and communications managers, technical writers, engagement manager, full-stack engineers, and more.
This technology company specializes in cloud-based software. ServiceNow has remote work positions for network engineers, success architects, UX content strategists, client directors, program managers, security engineers, solution architects, and more.
Syneos is a health research organization with positions for clinical study managers, project managers, TMF document specialists, clinical programmers, medical writers, sales associates, statistical programmers, and more.
This company is responsible for a variety of scientific and healthcare applications, including making COVID-19 tests. They have online jobs for account managers, program managers, sales representatives, product specialists, digital content managers, clinical supply chain managers, and more.
UnitedHealth provides healthcare products and insurance. It has online job listings for employer installation specialists, senior data analysts, business analyst consultants, peer support specialists, case managers, wellness coordinators, clinical quality analysts, technical lead developers, and more.
Finding online jobs – the final word
If you’ve been laid off or furloughed, had your hours cut, or are just looking for alternatives, there are viable online job options out there. You might have to pivot in your professional life to find a job, but adaptability is important right now.
And just remember, the job market is going to get better. Your old job might not be available anymore, but new positions in new fields will open up as life starts to go back to normal.