With rising gas prices, driving has gotten extremely expensive. Fortunately, there are lots of side jobs without a car, so you can make extra money while not burning it up in the tank. Starting a side hustle can have such a powerful impact on your financial life, and there’s no reason for gas prices to get in the way. Let’s dive in with our top recommendations!
Rent out storage space in your home
Take online surveys for market research purposes
Make $25-$300+ a month
Get paid up to $3 per survey
Table of Contents
- 1. Rent Out Space for Storage
- 2. Online Surveys
- 3. Blogging
- Start a blog for less then $3/month
- 4. Dog Walking & Pet Sitting
- Get paid to play with pets
- 5. Sell on Etsy
- Looking for a creative side job?
- 6. Rent Out Your Car
- 7. Side Hustle as a Proofreader
- Want to make extra money proofreading?
- 8. Start Freelancing
- 9. Digital Marketing
- Want to make $1,000-$2,000 a week from home?
- 10. In-home Child Care
- Get started with Care.com
- 11. Download Money-Making Apps
- The Final Word on Side Jobs Without a Car
How Can I Make Money Without a Car? 11 Options for 2024
1. Rent Out Space for Storage
Side jobs without a car that pay passive income? If that sounds like the ideal situation, pay attention while we tell you about Neighbor. This platform is a self-storage alternative where property owners can rent out their basement, garage, carport, spare bedroom, and any space that can be used for storage.
Homeowners set rates and rules for storage, and renters contact you through the Neighbor platform. Neighbor protects hosts with a $1,000,000 Host Guarantee to cover any host liability.
Here’s an idea of how much money you can make with Neighbor renting out different spaces:
- Bedroom $36-$140/month
- Closet $13-$153/month
- Garage $125-$330/month
- Self-storage unit $21-$80/month
Learn more in our full Neighbor review.
2. Online Surveys
Online surveys are used by market research companies to find out how real consumers perceive and purchase different products and services. This is valuable information, which is why survey companies pay you for your feedback.
Taking online surveys isn’t the highest-paying side job, but it is one of the most mindless ways to make extra money. Think of online surveys as a paid alternative to scrolling through social media or playing games on your phone, and of course, there’s no driving required!
Here are two of our top recommendations for online surveys:
- Branded Surveys: Get paid up to $3 per survey, and Branded Surveys pays in points that convert to PayPal cash, bank transfer, or gift cards.
- Survey Junkie: Make up to $3 for every survey you complete, and Survey Junkie also pays in points that can be redeemed for PayPal cash, bank transfer, or gift cards.
Starting a blog can be a very sweet side gig. Not only can you do it from home (no driving!), it easily has the highest-earning potential out of any side hustle on this list — we’re talking potential for 7-figure income. But that doesn’t mean it’s easy! Learning how to grow your blog takes time, but it’s something you can do at your own pace and schedule.
Besides the flexibility, what’s so cool about this side hustle is that you can blog about virtually anything you want. Travel, cooking, parenting, entrepreneurship, etc. — it’s all up to you! Read more in our comprehensive How to Start a Blog Guide.
If you’re interested in starting a blog, we highly recommend Bluehost, and here’s why:
- It’s as little as $2.95 per month when you sign up through our exclusive link.
- Bluehost has a ton of free themes to choose from, and that means you can get a professional-looking blog without paying for web design services.
- They have stellar customer service.
- You get a free domain name for your first full year.
- WordPress is included with Bluehost — that’s the platform THIS blog was built on!
Start a blog for less then $3/month
Sign up through our exclusive link and receive 60% off the regular price.
4. Dog Walking & Pet Sitting
There’s a good chance you live near families who are looking for dog walking and pet sitting services, and you can make $15-$25 per walk and $25-$70 per overnight stay. Besides finding clients via social media and neighborhood groups, we highly recommend Rover.
Rover is a platform built specifically to connect pet owners with caregivers. There’s a one-time fee of $35 to create a caregiver profile, and you take home 80% of your earnings from each booking. Learn more in our full Rover review.
Get paid to play with pets
You can set your rates and availability on Rover and find pet owners in your area who need help caring for their cats and dogs.
5. Sell on Etsy
Etsy has grown into the go-to marketplace for all things crafty and creative. It’s an excellent place to sell jewelry, clothing, artwork, home decor, furniture, and so on. But one of the best things to sell on Etsy are digital printables. These are digital files that you can create once and can sell indefinitely without much additional work. Printables can be things like:
- Wall art
- Lifestyle/financial trackers
- Planner pages
- Party games
- Temporary tattoos
There’s a fantastic free ebook called the Seasonal Products Secret that outlines printable ideas for each month of the year and how to capitalize on each idea. You should definitely grab a copy of that free ebook if you’re interested in learning more.
Looking for a creative side job?
Designing and selling printables on Etsy doesn’t require a car, and you can learn everything you need to get started in this comprehensive course.
6. Rent Out Your Car
Technically this side job requires a car, but it’s someone renting your car as an alternative to traditional car rental platforms. HyreCar is a peer-to-peer rental platform where you can list your car, which dates it’s available, and then rent it out to prescreened customers.
HyreCar offers up to $1,000,000 liability coverage and coverage in the event of theft or physical damage. Most of the cars listed on HyreCar list for approximately $35/day, and HyreCar takes a 15% to 25% commission. Learn more in our HyreCar review.
7. Side Hustle as a Proofreader
Are you the kind of person who can spot a misplaced comma from a mile away? Then you’d make an excellent proofreader!
Proofreaders are needed to put the finishing touches on written content for authors, bloggers, freelance writers, business owners, and more. Anyone who publishes written content for a living can benefit from proofreading services.
The average proofreader makes $15-$40/hour depending on experience and the types of clients you work with. This is one of the best side jobs without a car if you are detail-oriented and want a flexible schedule.
Want to make extra money proofreading?
This FREE training teaches you how to start making 4 figures a month from home as a proofreader.
8. Start Freelancing
There has been a massive shift in the workforce over the past few years, with nearly 60 million people now working as freelancers. That’s because more and more companies are choosing to hire freelancers over full-time workers.
What’s great about freelancing is that you can leverage existing skills or learn a new one, and it’s not uncommon for successful freelancers to earn $1,000-$5,000 per month working part-time hours.
Here are a few ideas for freelance side jobs without a car:
- Web development
- Freelance writing
- Teaching and tutoring
- Graphic design
- Search engine optimization or SEO
- Branding and PR
- Virtual assistance
- Medical transcription
- Customer service
- Social media manager
- Project management
- Audio production/design
- Data entry
You can find freelance work on platforms like Fiverr or Upwork.
9. Digital Marketing
Running Facebook and Instagram ads for small businesses is simply digital marketing through two of the best online platforms for small businesses to increase their traffic and visibility. And, you can make around $1,000-$2,000 per month/client with just a few hours of work each week.
This side job doesn’t require a car or a background in marketing or advertising. The skills required are ones you can learn on your own, and once you get started, it takes about 2-3 hours a week to run ads for your clients.
Want to make $1,000-$2,000 a week from home?
The Facebook Side Hustle Course teaches you how to set up a Facebook ads system, how to find clients who need your services, and how to get those clients to say “yes.”
10. In-home Child Care
Rather than driving to someone’s home to care for their kids, you can make money offering in-home childcare services at your house. Every state has its own requirements for in-home care. Most allow you to care for a certain number of kids before you need to apply for a license.
This is one of the best side jobs if you’re already staying home with your kids, and you can connect with families who are looking for caregivers on Care.com. There’s a $20/month fee to list your services, and the average childcare provider charges $200/week per child.
Get started with Care.com
You can offer in-home childcare, tutoring, housekeeping, pet care services, and more.
11. Download Money-Making Apps
There are so many legitimate money-making apps right now, and they can infuse a little extra cash in your budget every month. Here are some of our top recommendations:
- Capital One Shopping: This browser extension finds you the best deals when you shop online and automatically applies them so you can easily save money.
- Ibotta: Earn up to 30% cash back when you shop online or in-store at thousands of top retailers, like Home Depot, Walmart, Sam’s Club, Old Navy, etc.
- Upside: Formerly Get Upside, the Upside app pays you up to $0.25 back per gallon of gas. Just because you’re looking for side jobs without a car doesn’t mean you’re never driving!
- InboxDollars: This market research app will pay you to watch videos, take surveys, and shop online.
All of these apps are 100% free to sign up for, and there is no reason you can’t sign up for more than one.
The Final Word on Side Jobs Without a Car
Whether you are avoiding the rising costs of gas or you don’t have access to a vehicle, there are so many ways to make money without a vehicle. This can help you add some extra cash in your pocket, pay off debt, or deal with inflation. If you are looking for the easiest options, we recommend:
- Rent out space in your house with Neighbor. You can make upwards of $300/month in passive income renting out space in your attic, basement, garage, closets, a spare bedroom, and more.
- Take online surveys with Branded Surveys. Make up to $3/survey with Branded Surveys. This market research company pays consumers for feedback about the products and services they use every day.