Learning how to make $1,000 a week is a good way to put a lot of extra money in your pocket ASAP. It can be a quick solution if you have a major bill coming up soon, you want to destroy your debt, or if you simply want to stash some cash aside.
The best way to approach your goal of making $1,000 a week is to try out multiple ideas simultaneously, and there are options on this list that make that a realistic strategy. There are easy side hustles, ways to make money online, and so on. We’ve got you covered, so let’s dive in with our top recommendations:
How to Make $1000 a Week: 18 Fast & Easy Ideas
1. Become a Food Delivery Driver
On-demand food delivery services are incredibly popular right now. Consumers love the convenience of having food from their favorite restaurants delivered right to their doorstep.
DoorDash drivers deliver food from local and chain restaurants as well as convenience and grocery store items. DoorDash currently controls nearly 65% of the meal delivery market, so you know it’s popular among consumers.
DoorDash drivers can schedule their hours in advance, but there are also opportunities to “Dash Now” when there’s a high demand for drivers because the app is busy.
The busiest hours for drivers are during lunch (11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.) and dinner (4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.). DoorDash is also busy during holidays and when there are major sporting events on TV.
Check out our DoorDash driver review for more details.
2. Drive With Uber
You have multiple options for rideshare companies, and Uber has become a top pick for anyone who wants to make money driving. What stands out so much about Uber is that you have a ton of flexibility as you can set your own schedule. There are no minimums, and you can drive when it works for you because the Uber app is available 24/7.
If you’re interested, here’s what you need to know about driving with Uber:
- Extreme flexibility: As we said, you don’t have set hours, rather get to drive on your own schedule.
- Weekly or daily pay: Drivers cash out once a week, but you can also gain immediate access to your earnings with Instant Pay. Terms apply.
- Driver requirements: You must meet the minimum age to drive in your city, have an eligible mode of transportation, and submit required documents, including a valid driver’s license. You must also consent to a background screening and have at least one year of licensed driving experience.
3. Take Online Surveys
If you want to make $1,000 a week, taking online surveys is a mindless way to reach your goal. Of course, you won’t make $1,000 a week from surveys alone, but it’s straightforward, flexible, and anyone can do it.
You can realistically expect to make $1-$5 per survey, and some companies pay in points that convert to cash or gift cards, while others pay cash first. Don’t let points deter you because they add up quickly, and the conversion process is quick and simple.
Here are our top survey site recommendations:
- Survey Junkie: Survey Junkie pays an average of $1-$3 per survey, and you’ll need to reach 500 points (equals $5) to cash out. It takes about 5 minutes to sign-up for Survey Junkie, and then you can start taking surveys immediately.
- Branded Surveys: Branded Surveys pays an average of $1-$3 per survey, and you’re paid via PayPal, and gift cards.
The way online survey companies work is that brands pay them to find out what their customers in targeted audiences are thinking, how they behave, what they purchase, etc. Because surveys target consumers in specific demographics, it’s best to sign up for multiple survey sites. This helps you get matched with more surveys, which helps you reach your goal of $1,000 a week.
4. Run Facebook and Instagram Ads
Running Facebook and Instagram ads is simply digital marketing through two of the world's largest social media platforms, which continue to be some of the best platforms for small business owners to reach new customers.
You don't need a degree in marketing or have a background in advertising either — these are skills you can learn, and you can make around $1,000-$2,000 per client! And once you have their ads system set up, it takes approximately 2-3 hours a week to maintain.
If you're interested in learning more, check out the Facebook Side Hustle Course and learn how to:
- Set up and run Facebook ads
- How to find clients who need your services
- Exactly what to say to get those clients to say “yes” and hire you
5. Earn Cash Back Shopping
Here’s another incredibly easy way to make money if you want to learn how to make $1,000 a week. Earning cash back when you shop is easier than ever, and Ibotta pays you cash for both in-store and online shopping.
Here’s how Ibotta works:
- In-store shopping: You can link to your store’s loyalty program in the Ibotta app and claim cash back offers in the app. You upload a photo of your receipt after you shop to verify your purchases.
- Online shopping: Shop online through the Ibotta app at over 750 different nationwide retailers, or download the Ibotta browser extension.
Again, you’re not going to make $1,000 fast, but earning cash back can add up quickly. Plus, if you’re already shopping, why not see some cash back in your pocket?
Learn more in our full Ibotta review.
6. Deliver Groceries
Did you know that you can make $10-$20/hour delivering groceries for Instacart. Shoppers get to choose which days and hours they work, meaning you can use your spare time to reach your goal of $1,000 a week.
Here are the requirements to get started:
- Meet the legal age to drive in your state
- Valid driver’s license and insurance
- Reliable vehicle
- Clean driving record
- Pass a criminal background check
As long as you meet those requirements, you can sign up today and be on the road delivering groceries in about 1-2 weeks.
Read our full Instacart shopper review to learn more.
Do you have a nearly empty garage? Is there space in your basement or attic? Neighbor is a platform where you can list your empty space and rent it out to people in your community. It’s an alternative to traditional storage spaces.
Here’s an idea of how much money you can make on Neighbor:
- Spare bedroom $30-$200/month
- Closet $10-$160/month
- Garage $60-$400/month
The price variation depends on where you’re located and what kind of amenities your space offers. A climate controlled garage, for example, is far more valuable than a regular garage.
Our Neighbor review has even more information.
8. Sell Your Stuff
If you want to know how to make $1,000 in a week or less, then you should think about selling some of your stuff.
There’s a good chance you have a bunch of stuff sitting around your house that you can sell, from clothes, old electronics, to sports gear. You can organize a garage or yard sales, but selling your stuff online is how you’ll make the most money. Here are a few places to sell stuff online:
- Decluttr: This company takes used electronics, including cell phones, tablets, laptops, video game consoles, and more. Decluttr gives you a free valuation, and you are paid the day after Decluttr receives your goods.
- Poshmark: This platform is for selling gently used clothing, shoes, and accessories. You decide the list price for your clothing, and you’ll want to optimize this listing so it’s easier to find.
- Depop: This marketplace specializes in younger, on-trend women’s and men’s clothing. It’s a great place to sell vintage and unique clothing.
eBay: You can sell anything and everything on eBay, but it’s best for niche goods and collectibles.
- Facebook Marketplace: This has become the go-to selling platform because it’s an app that so many people already have. You can sell locally or ship, and shipping will definitely broaden your reach.
Make sure you are honest in your listings, and note any dents, discoloration, rips, etc. Flaws won’t be a deal-breaker for most buyers as long as you’re honest in advance.
It’s also worth mentioning that used car sales are at record highs right now. I know selling a car is a lot different than listing an old sofa on Facebook Marketplace, but you can make $1,000 fast if you’re in a position to sell your car right now.
9. Cancel Your Subscriptions
When was the last time you assessed what you were paying for various subscription services? I’m talking about streaming services, razor delivery, meal kits, beauty boxes, wine-of-the-month, etc. Subscription services seem affordable at first, but they seriously add up over time.
To help you find and cancel your subscription services, check out the Trim app. It’s free to sign up and connect to Trim, and it goes through your accounts to find recurring payments. Trim notifies you when it’s found something that looks like a subscription, and you can have Trim cancel it for you.
It’s completely free to have Trim cancel subscriptions for you. It also offers a bill negotiation service — it only works for cable, internet, and cell phone services — but you will be charged for this service.
10. Rent Out Your Car
With more people working remotely, there is a good chance your car isn’t getting used as much as it once was. So instead of letting your car sit in the driveway, you can make extra money renting it out on HyreCar.
HyreCar is a peer-to-peer rental platform, and you can make around $35/day renting out your car. This company rents explicitly to rideshare and food delivery drivers, and they offer up to $1,000,000 in coverage if something happens to your car.
What’s great about this option is that it’s so passive — as in, you’re not trading time for money. So you can make money renting out your car while you also make money doing something else. This is a solid strategy if you want to learn how to make $1,000 a week.
11. Make Money When You Buy Gas
Gas prices these days, right!? But did you know you can make up to $0.25 per gallon of gas with the Upside app?
Upside (formerly known as GetUpside) is a free cash back app that pays you when you buy gas or groceries at over 50,000 locations nationwide. Here’s how it works:
- Download the free Upside app.
- Look at the map to find offers near you — offers show how much you can make back at each gas station.
- Fill up your tank like normal.
- Check in while filling up or upload your receipt afterwards.
- Cash out once you have $15, and there is no fee to cash out.
12. Start Freelancing
Freelancing is a great way to make extra money, but it’s also a legitimate way to work full-time. Freelancers save businesses money because they don’t have to keep someone on full-time and pay benefits. Freelancers reap the benefits with flexible schedules and the ability to work from home (in most cases).
Pay for freelancers varies by skill and experience, but it’s not uncommon for freelancers to make $1,000 a week or more.
There is a very wide variety of skills you can leverage to start freelancing. Seriously, there are freelancing gigs available in nearly every industry. Below are several different options including links that will help you learn more and get started:
- Writer: Freelance writers may work for bloggers, magazines, news sites, write web copy, ghostwrite, and more. Learn more in How to Become a Freelance Writer.
- Graphic design: If you’re artistic and good with a computer, graphic design is growing. You can design flyers, logos, invitations, posters, web graphics, Etsy printables, and much more.
- Virtual assistant: These freelancers are responsible for a lot of the behind-the-scenes work that goes into running a business. You need to be highly organized and an excellent communicator if you want to become a virtual assistant.
- Bookkeeper: It’s similar to accounting but doesn’t require a degree. Bookkeepers help manage payroll, handle invoicing, and generally track a business’s finances.
- Web developer: This is a high-income career field that doesn’t require a college degree, and many web developers get their start in months-long boot camps.
- Proofreading: Proofreaders get paid to correct grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors. Learn how to get started with the free Well-Paid Proofreader Seminar.
Many freelancers get started by connecting with contacts in their network, and having a website is a good idea when reaching out to potential contacts.
Freelancing can become a long-term way to make $1,000 a week, and many freelancers start on the side of their day jobs.
13. Get a Part-time Job
Side hustles, like the ones mentioned on this list, side hustles are what people usually think of when they want to find out how to make extra money. But the reality is that you can make decent money taking a part-time job.
One of our readers recently shared that he took a job delivering pizzas part-time. It wasn’t his dream job, but it was helping him make extra money fast, especially because he got to bring cash tips home each night.
14. Start Tutoring
Back when I was still a high school band director, I knew of so many kids who were getting out-of-school tutoring help. Most of those kids were going for in-person support after school, but nowadays many tutoring jobs have moved online.
BookNook is a popular online tutoring platform, and their tutors offer support in critical reading and math skills to K-8 students. Tutors make $15-$22/hour, and they must meet one of the following requirements:
- 3+ years teaching or tutoring or
- 1 year teaching or tutoring and at least a bachelor’s degree or
- 1 year teaching or tutoring and current enrollment in a teaching credential program
You also must be a U.S. citizen to qualify. The tutoring sessions last 30 minutes, and you will work with 1-4 students at a time. There's no lesson planning involved — BookNook handles this part for you.
15. Start Pet Sitting
If you love pets and want to learn how to make $1,000 fast, then you should definitely consider pet sitting and dog walking. Pet sitters can earn between $35-$70/night, and dog walkers make around $15-$25/walk.
What you earn varies based on where you live, but pet sitting rates also vary based on the kinds of services you offer. For example, if you have experience and are comfortable administering medications, you can typically charge more.
To start pet sitting, I highly recommend Rover. This is where my wife and I have found our pet sitters, and we’ve always been happy with them. There's a one-time fee of $35 to list your services on Rover, and you have control over your rates and availability.
It’s also never a bad idea to reach out to family and friends to let them know you’ve started pet sitting. You can even list your services locally on NextDoor.
Babysitting is a solid way to make money fast if you love working with kids. You can watch kids in your house, go over to a family’s house, or become a nanny. Word-of-mouth is a good way to get started, but you can find even more families if you list your services on Care.com. This platform lets you list your service, explain your experience and more.
17. Negotiate for a Raise
Asking for a raise can be a terrifying thing for a lot of people. What if my boss says no? That means very few people ever take the chance and ask for a raise.
According to a Marketplace-Edison Research Poll, 37% of men and 36% of women have asked for a raise. Men received the raise they asked for 82% of the time, while women got their raise 74% of the time. Wage gap aside, that’s telling.
You probably have a better chance at getting a raise than you might expect. In addition to this being a great way to make $1,000 fast, getting a raise is a long-term boost in your finances. It’s extra money you’ll have every month to pay off debt, save for retirement, put towards an awesome vacation, and so on.
Here are some tips to help you negotiate a raise and get it:
- Do your research: Find out what others in your field are earning to get a sense of what’s a realistic ask.
- Find the right time: Make sure your company is doing well financially, where’s your current standing with them, have you recently received a raise, etc. Some of the best times to ask for a raise are after you’ve completed a big project, a few months before an annual review, or after a new responsibility has been added to your plate.
- Practice your pitch: Write down what you’re asking for and why you deserve it, then practice saying it out loud before you go to your boss.
The worst thing that can happen is that your boss says “no.” That doesn’t mean you’re fired. Take that as an opportunity to look at your job performance or even start job hunting elsewhere.
18. Flip Furniture
You’ve probably seen furniture sitting on the curb for big trash day. Surprisingly this stuff is in pretty good shape, maybe it just needs a little TLC. I think people just don’t want to spend the time it takes to fix up things or sell them.
Besides finding furniture to flip on the curb, you can also find flips at garage sales, thrift stores, and maybe even your own basement. Once you’ve freshened up the furniture, you can sell your flips on places like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.
19. Donate Your Plasma
Donating your plasma sounds like you're not going to make money, but many donation sites will pay you to donate! You can make around $30 to $100 per donation, and you're each time you donate, which takes up to 2 hours. Most healthy people can donate up to two times per week.
The process is similar to donating blood, and you'll have to pass a short health screening before you donate. You can learn more about the process in our article here about selling plasma.
The Final Word on How To Make $1000 a Week
I know it can feel incredibly overwhelming when you’re trying to find new ways to make money. You want to find legitimate options that will help you reach your goal, and that takes time.
The options on this list are all 100% legit. Some of them, like selling your stuff can help you make $1,000 a week fast, while something like freelancing can turn into a full-time job where you make $1,000 a week from home (if not more than $1,000!).
But delivering for DoorDash or Branded Surveys are our two top picks because they work for almost anyone, and it’s possible to start making money in about a week. These are also very flexible, so you can pair them with other ideas on this list to reach your goal of $1,000 a week.
Selling your stuff online is honestly the fastest way to make $1000. But if you have a week or two, we recommend signing up to deliver for DoorDash. DoorDash drivers are paid per each delivery and set their own hours.
Start a blog! You’re not going to earn $1000 a day immediately, but as you learn how to make money blogging, you’ll be able to earn somewhat passive income from display ads, affiliate marketing, sponsorships, course sales, and more. Our article How to Start a Blog explains the exact steps to start a successful blog in 2022!