If you want to learn how to make $1000 a week, I’m sure there’s a good reason. Maybe your mortgage or rent check is due. You might have an emergency AC or heating system repair that’s left you with an expensive bill.
Whatever the reason is, there are over a dozen legitimate ways to make a thousand dollars a week.
The best way to approach your goal of making $1,000 a week is to try out multiple ideas simultaneously, and there are options on this list that make that a realistic strategy. Then once you’ve reached your goal, you can keep side hustling and put money aside, so you’re prepared for future emergencies.
How to Make $1000 A Week: 13 Easy & Fast Ideas
1. Take online surveys
If you want to make $1000 a week, taking online surveys is a mindless way to reach your goal. Of course, you won’t make $1000 a week from surveys alone, but it’s straightforward, flexible, and anyone can do it.
You can realistically expect to make $1-$5 per survey, and some companies pay in points that convert to cash or gift cards, while others pay cash first. Don’t let points deter you because they add up quickly, and the conversion process is quick and simple.
Here are my top survey site recommendations:
- Survey Junkie: Survey Junkie pays an average of $1-$3 per survey, and you’ll need to reach 500 points (equals $5) to cash out. It takes about 5 minutes to sign-up for Survey Junkie, and then you can start taking surveys immediately.
- MyPoints: You’ll earn $1-$3 per survey with MyPoints. You can cash out for as little as 250 points (the equivalent of $1) for an Amazon gift card. It takes 3,970 (or $25) points to get paid cash via PayPal.
- InboxDollars: You can earn $0.50-$5 for surveys that take 3 to 25 minutes to complete. InboxDollars pays with checks, PayPal, or gift cards.
- Swagbucks: Swagbucks pays you for taking surveys, watching videos, searching the web, online shopping, and more. Surveys pay an average of $0.40-$2 each.
- Branded Surveys: Branded Surveys pays an average of $3 per survey, and you’re paid via check, PayPal, and gift cards.
- Pinecone Research: You’ll earn an average of $3 per survey, and you only need $3 to cash out with Pinecone Research. They pay via check, PayPal, and gift cards.
- Opinion Outpost: You can earn $0.50-$5 per survey, and you’ll need 100 points (the equivalent of $10) to cash out via PayPal or 50 points (the equivalent of $5) to cash out with a gift card.
The way online survey companies work is that brands pay them to find out what their customers in targeted audiences are thinking, how they behave, what they purchase, etc. Then, companies use this valuable market research to create better products and ad campaigns, and the consumer is paid for their survey participation.
There are dozens of survey companies out there and they either pay in cash or in points that convert to cash or gift cards. Because surveys target consumers in specific demographics, it’s best to sign up for multiple survey sites. This helps you get matched with more surveys, which helps you reach your goal of $1000 a week.
2. Earn cash back shopping
Here’s another incredibly easy way to make money if you want to learn how to make $1,000 a week. Earning cash back when you shop is easier than ever, and Ibotta pays you cash for both in-store and online shopping.
Here’s how it works:
- In-store shopping: You can link to your store’s loyalty program in the Ibotta app and claim cash back offers in the app. You upload a photo of your receipt after you shop to verify your purchases.
- Online shopping: Shop online through the Ibotta app at over 750 different nationwide retailers, or download the Ibotta browser extension.
Ibotta pays you within 24 hours of your purchase, and new Ibotta users can earn a $20 bonus for signing up today.
Again, you’re not going to make $1000 fast, but earning cash back can add up quickly. Plus, if you’re already shopping, why not see some cash back in your pocket?
3. Deliver groceries
Instacart and Shipt have a few driver requirements:
- Meet the legal age to drive in your state
- Valid driver’s license and insurance
- Reliable vehicle
- Clean driving record
- Pass a criminal background check
As long as you meet those requirements, you can sign up today and be on the road delivering groceries in about 1-2 weeks. Most drivers deliver for multiple companies so they’ll have more opportunities to take orders. You can be pickier about which orders you accept, and if one app isn’t busy, you may be able to find orders in the other app.
4. Become a food delivery driver
On-demand food delivery services are incredibly popular right now. Consumers love the convenience of having food from their favorite restaurants delivered right to their doorstep.
DoorDash drivers make between $15-$20/hour, and you deliver food from local and chain restaurants as well as convenience store items. DoorDash currently makes up over 50% of the meal delivery market, so you know it’s popular among consumers.
DoorDash drivers can schedule their hours in advance, but there are also opportunities to “Dash Now,” when there’s a high demand for drivers because the app is busy.
Drivers need to meet the same requirements as grocery delivery drivers, and you can sign up and start driving within about 2 weeks. The busiest hours for drivers are during lunch (11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.) and dinner (4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.). DoorDash is also busy during holidays and when there are major sporting events on TV.
5. Sell your stuff
If you want to know how to make $1,000 in a week or less, then you should think about selling some of your stuff.
There’s a good chance you have a bunch of stuff sitting around your house that you can sell, from clothes, old electronics, to sports gear. You can organize a garage or yard sales, but selling your stuff online is how you’ll make the most money. Here are a few places to sell stuff online:
- Decluttr: This company takes unused electronics, including cell phones, tablets, laptops, video game consoles, and more. Decluttr gives you a free valuation, and you are paid the day after Decluttr receives your goods.
- Poshmark: This platform is for selling gently used clothing, shoes, and accessories. You decide the list price for your clothing, and you’ll want to optimize this listing so it’s easier to find.
- Depop: This marketplace specializes in younger, on-trend women’s and men’s clothing. It’s a great place to sell vintage and unique clothing.
- eBay: You can sell anything and everything on eBay, but it’s best for niche goods and collectibles.
- Facebook Marketplace: This has become the go-to selling platform because it’s an app that so many people already have. You can sell locally or ship, and shipping will definitely broaden your reach.
Make sure you are honest in your listings, and note any dents, discoloration, rips, etc. Flaws won’t be a deal-breaker for most buyers as long as you’re honest in advance.
It’s also worth mentioning that used car sales are at record highs right now. I know selling a car is a lot different than listing an old sofa on Facebook Marketplace, but you can make $1000 fast if you’re in a position to sell your car right now.
6. Cancel your subscriptions
When was the last time you assessed what you were paying for various subscription services? I’m talking about streaming services, razor delivery, meal kits, beauty boxes, wine-of-the-month, etc. Subscription services seem affordable at first, but they seriously add up over time.
To help you find and cancel your subscription services, check out the Trim app. It’s free to sign up and connect to Trim, and it goes through your accounts to find recurring payments. Trim notifies you when it’s found something that looks like a subscription, and you can have Trim cancel it for you.
It’s completely free to have Trim cancel subscriptions for you. It also offers a bill negotiation service — it only works for cable, internet, and cell phone services — but you will be charged for this service.
Let Trim help you save money
Trim is a free app that cancels unwanted subscriptions for you, negotiates for lower rates on your bills, gets you outage refunds, helps with budgeting, and more.Sign up for Trim today
7. Rent out your car
With more people working remotely, there is a good chance your car isn’t getting used as much as it once was. So instead of letting your car sit in the driveway, you can make extra money renting it out on HyreCar.
HyreCar is a peer-to-peer rental platform, and you can make around $35/day renting out your car. This company rents explicitly to rideshare and food delivery drivers, and they offer up to $1,000,000 in coverage if something happens to your car.
What’s great about this option is that it’s so passive — as in, you’re not trading time for money. So you can make money renting out your car while you also make money doing something else. This is a solid strategy if you want to learn how to make $1,000 a week.
8. Start freelancing
Freelancing is a great way to make extra money, but it’s also a legitimate way to work full-time. Freelancers, or independent contractors, save businesses money because they don’t have to keep someone on full-time and pay benefits. Freelancers reap the benefits with flexible schedules and the ability to work from home (in most cases).
Pay for freelancers varies by skill and experience, but it’s not uncommon for freelancers to make $1,000 a week or more.
There is a very wide variety of skills you can leverage to start freelancing. Seriously, there are freelancing gigs available in nearly every industry. Below are several different options including links that will help you learn more and get started:
- Writer: Freelance writers may work for bloggers, magazines, news sites, write web copy, ghostwrite, and more. The course Write Your Way to $1K can help you get started.
- Graphic design: If you’re artistic and good with a computer, graphic design is growing. You can design flyers, logos, invitations, posters, web graphics, Etsy printables, and much more.
- Virtual assistant: These freelancers are responsible for a lot of the behind-the-scenes work that goes into running a business. You need to be highly organized and an excellent communicator if you want to become a virtual assistant.
- Bookkeeper: It’s similar to accounting but doesn’t require a degree. Bookkeepers help manage payroll, handle invoicing, and generally track a business’s finances.
- Web developer: This is a high-income career field that doesn’t require a college degree, and many web developers get their start in months-long boot camps.
- Proofreading: Proofreaders get paid to correct grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors. Learn how to get started in the Proofread Anywhere Course.
Many freelancers get started by connecting with contacts in their network, and having a website is a good idea when reaching out to potential contacts.
Freelancing can become a long-term way to make $1,000 a week, and many freelancers start on the side of their day jobs.
9. Become a Tasker
TaskRabbit is like a marketplace for odd jobs. You know, one-off gigs that people need help with, from mounting a flat screen TV or cleaning out the gutters. You could line several jobs up over the course of the week to make $1,000.
To join TaskRabbit, you’ll need to pay a one-time fee of $25, create a profile, and then set your schedule and fees. Taskers (what you’re called on TaskRabbit) keep 100% of the fees they charge.
Here are even more one-off jobs you can list on TaskRabbit and an idea of how much you can make:
- Assemble and table or desk $37-$90
- Plant flowers $26-$62
- Mount a TV or mirror $29-$76
- Help moving $42-$109
10. Get a part-time job
Side hustles, like the ones mentioned on this list, side hustles are what people usually think of when they want to find out how to make extra money. But the reality is that you can make decent money taking a part-time job.
One of my readers recently shared that he took a job delivering pizzas part-time. It wasn’t his dream job, but it was helping him make extra money fast, especially because he got to bring cash tips home each night.
11. Start tutoring
Back when I was still a high school band director, I knew of so many kids who were getting out-of-school tutoring help. Most of those kids were going for in-person support after school, but nowadays many tutoring jobs have moved online.
Wyzant is a popular online tutoring platform, and their tutors offer subject-specific help in subjects like math, chemistry, foreign languages, etc. Tutors average $30-$60/hour, and test prep tutors can earn even more at $45-$100/hour.
12. Flip things for sale
Flipping is when you buy something for cheap and then sell it later for a higher price. You can flip cars, clothes, furniture, electronics, heavy machinery, and more. There’s an art to flipping because you need to spot items with a higher resale value and know where to look.
Rob and Melissa of Flea Market Flipper are the masters, and they’ve made over $133,000 a year flipping. Here’s an idea of some of their recent flips:
- A hiking backpack purchased for $10 and sold for $135
- Collectible ornaments purchased for $8 and flipped for $127
- Frigidaire stove they picked up on OfferUp for $200 and then sold for $2,800
- Cement grinder bought for $200 and flipped for $1,700
13. Start pet sitting
If you love pets and want to learn how to make $1,000 fast, then you should definitely consider pet sitting and dog walking. Pet sitters can earn between $35-$70/night, and dog walkers make around $15-$25/walk.
What you earn varies based on where you live, but pet sitting rates also vary based on the kinds of services you offer. For example, if you have experience and are comfortable administering medications, you can typically charge more.
To start pet sitting, I highly recommend Rover. This is where my wife and I have found our pet sitters, and we’ve always been happy with them. It’s free to sign up for River, and you have control over your rates and availability.
It’s also never a bad idea to reach out to family and friends to let them know you’ve started pet sitting. You can even list your services locally on NextDoor.
The final word on how to make $1000 a week
I know it can feel incredibly overwhelming when you’re trying to find new ways to make money. You want to find legitimate options that will help you reach your goal, and that takes time.
The options on this list are all 100% legit. Some of them, like selling your stuff can help you make $1,000 a week fast, while something like freelancing can turn into a full-time job where you make $1,000 a week from home (if not more than $1,000!).
But delivering for DoorDash or Instacart are my two top picks because they work for almost anyone, and it’s possible to start making money in about a week. These are also very flexible, so you can pair them with other ideas on this list to reach your goal of $1,000 a week.