With so many food delivery apps available, a lot of people are asking: What is the best food delivery service to work for? Working for on-demand food delivery services has become the hottest and most widely available side hustle of 2023, and drivers make $15 to $25/hour on average.
More people are choosing the convenience of ordering in while they stay home, which means an increased demand for new drivers. But what we love is that food delivery is a flexible and legitimate way supplement your income and make extra money.
Our top pick is DoorDash because it offers extreme flexibility, and DoorDash controls the largest market share. Check out our full list of best delivery apps to work for in 2023 to learn about driver requirements, how drivers are paid, and the pros and cons of each company.
Top Pick: DoorDash
DoorDash is the most popular food delivery service in the U.S., and you can deliver via car, bicycle, scooter, or even on foot in some markets.
Benefits of delivering with DoorDash:
- You get to be your own boss and choose the days and hours you deliver.
- DoorDash pays drivers weekly, but there's also an option to cash out on the day you deliver (fees apply).
- The registration process takes around five minutes, and you can be delivering in under a week in most cases.
Best Food Delivery Service to Work for in 2023 | 6 Delivery Apps to Try
Since DoorDash was launched in 2013, it’s grown to reach a market of more than 75 million Americans and has become the largest delivery service by market share according to Bloomberg Second Measure. DoorDash delivers meals from chain and local restaurants, and it’s begun delivering from convenience stores and drugstores, like CVS, in some markets.
Dashers — what delivery drivers for DoorDash are called — can schedule their hours in advance. There are no minimum hours to drive, which is the same as the rest of the food delivery services on this list.
DoorDash Driver Requirements
- Drivers must be 18 years old or older
- Access to a car, scooter, or bike in some markets
- Valid driver’s license number
- Auto insurance
DoorDash has a simple driver pay formula called the Dasher Pay Model, and base pay ranges from $2-$10. You always see this amount before accepting the order. DoorDash is currently piloting a new pay option called Time Earnings Mode, and drivers have the option to earn a guaranteed hourly rate while delivering plus 100% of tips.
Pros and Cons of Delivering for DoorDash:
DoorDash Disclaimer: Actual earnings may differ and depend on factors like number of deliveries completed, time of day, location, and expenses. Hourly pay is calculated using average Dasher payouts while on a delivery (from the time you accept an order until the time you drop it off) over a 90 day period and includes compensation from peak pay, tips, and other incentives.
Instacart has become one of the most well-known grocery delivery services since it was launched in 2012. One of the reasons it’s among the best food delivery services to work for is because there are two options when working for Instacart:
- Full-service shoppers take customer orders in the app, shop for them, and deliver the order. These shoppers have the most flexibility because you can pick the days and times you work, plus how often you work.
- In-store shoppers take orders in the app, shop for them, and then stage them for pick-up. These shoppers are limited to 29 hours a week or less and are considered part-time employees, not independent contractors like full-service shoppers.
Instacart Shopper Requirements:
- Drivers must have access to a car, valid driver’s license, and car insurance
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Able to lift 50 lbs
Instacart shoppers are paid based on the size and difficulty of the order, plus how busy the app is. Instacart shoppers can now see their estimated earnings before deciding if an order is worth their time.
Pros and Cons of Delivering Food for Instacart:
Shipt was founded in 2014 as an on-demand grocery delivery service. It was purchased by Target in 2017, and it's since expanded to over 5,000 cities nationwide. Shipt shoppers are expected to wear a Shipt shirt when they work so that store employees can identify shoppers.
Shipt Shopper Requirements:
- Drivers must be 18 years old or older
- Have a valid driver’s license and insurance
- Have a reliable vehicle — 1997 model or newer
- Capable of lifting 40 lbs or more
- Have insulated cooler bags
Shipt updated its pay model in the fall of 2020, and some drivers have reported slightly lower pay because the new pay model is much more complex and accounts for “dynamic variables” including drive time, total order items, time of day, and road traffic. The app shows you estimated earnings before accepting an order.
Pros and Cons of Delivering for Shipt:
4. Uber Eats/Postmates
Owned by rideshare giant Uber, Uber Eats was launched in 2014 and is now available in over 6,000 cities across 45 countries. In 2020, Uber Eats purchased Postmates for $2.65 billion, and it began transitioning drivers from Postmates to Uber Eats in 2021.
Uber Eats Delivery Driver Requirements:
- Drivers must meet the minimum age to drive in your city
- Have at least one year of licensed driving experience (if you’re under 23 years old, you need 3 years of experience driving)
- A valid U.S. driver’s license
- Eligible vehicle (this varies by city, but you can expect requirements for a 4-door vehicle that is at least a 1998 model or newer)
- Provide proof of residency in your city or state
- Have vehicle insurance
Uber Eats delivery drivers earn a base fare for every delivery, which includes pay for pick-up, drop off time, and distance. UberEats has also added a new earnings component (called a trip supplement) to account for both time and distance.
Pros and Cons of Delivering for Uber Eats:
GrubHub is considered the OG among these food delivery services — it was founded in 2004. It now serves more than 4,000 U.S. cities and partners with more than 225,000 restaurants. This on-demand delivery service mainly delivers for restaurants, but it’s expanded to include convenience stores in some markets.
GrubHub Delivery Driver Requirements:
- Drivers must be at least 19 years old (at least 21 in Chicago and Las Vegas)
- Have a valid driver’s license and car insurance
- Have a cell phone with a data plan (iOS 11 or higher or Android 5.0 or higher)
Pros and Cons of Delivering for GrubHub:
6. Amazon Flex
Amazon Flex is an Amazon service that outsources drivers for Prime Now, AmazonFresh, and Amazon Restaurant Delivery. Because you can deliver packages too, that makes it pretty different from the rest of the best food delivery services on this list.
Drivers can pick when they work, but you will need to drive for 3-6 hour-long blocks. You’ll also need insulated bags or coolers to keep refrigerated or freezer items cool.
Amazon Flex Delivery Driver Requirements:
- Drivers must be at least 21 years old
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Drive a 4-door, mid-sized or larger vehicle
- Have car insurance
Amazon Flex drivers are paid based on the number of orders the complete: more orders = more pay. Having a larger vehicle means you can complete considerably more orders.
Pros and Cons of Delivering for Amazon Flex:
Before You Go, Check Out Our Top Pick for 2023:
DoorDash is our top recommendation for food delivery
DoorDash holds over 60% of the delivery market share, meaning customers choose it over other top delivery services. And drivers love DoorDash because it's a flexible way to make extra money in your spare time.Learn More